Thursday, September 25, 2008

Taking Aim in Ames

I pulled up this blogpost page to make a quick note about some things I read this morning, and then...
Well, It's kind of like when I was young, a few times my brother and I put a spool of thread into a drawer, and then kept pulling it out and taking it around and through various places in the living room, kitchen, and dining room until we had made a web. My mind makes connections. (as an example let me follow that tangent- this past week Lynn and I were visiting with my Aunt and Uncle and and Deb commented on how my cousin Nick and I are similar types of thinkers, always making those connections, and often ones that others don't see, and can be quite profound)
So, after five minutes, I came to the title for this post, recalling my previous post using the name of the city where I was located at.
Aim implies direction and focus. It seems that in life we must also take aim. What's your aim? Your goal, ambition, desire?
We can have a major aim for all of our life, as well as many directional and focus decisions throughout every moment.
For this moment, my lesser (or through) aim is to share with my broader network of family and friends a bite of Dan's digestions, to the greater (final) aim of you readers and I being most concerned with Allah and His Glory.
On that transition, I have a quote from Rick Brown, "The significance is this: one cannot change a person's concept of God merely by changing the name he uses for God. Any name that denotes God for someone will evoke that person's concept of God. What is required for reconceptualization is new information about God that will change the concept itself." This qoute was in an article Jeff Dodge mentioned to me this morning at the Acts study group as we were looking at Acts 17 in particular how Paul brought the message of Jesus to the Greek philosophers in the Areopagus.
Now, follow the thread from that article to the front page editorial of "Mission Frontiers" (can be accessed at http://www.missionfrontiers.org) where Ralph Winter was commmenting on, among other things a book by Alex and Brett Harris, Do Hard Things. Learn more about them and the book at www.therebelution.com
Then, as I was finishing up that reading and moving onto my task and to do's for the day, I considered sending a note to Mom and Dad and Matt and Ashley and others specifically interacting with teenagers; but really we all should have some awareness of all that's going on in the world, having a broad perspective and hearing many ideas and issues.
...And then take aim through our specific direction and focus. Blessings as you grow in your concept of the true Creator, Ruler, and Judge of the earth and all peoples, and He gives to you a direction and focus, even as your 'aim' becomes Him.

"For the LORD is our judge,
the LORD is our lawgiver,
the LORD is our king; it is he who will save us."
~Isaiah 33:22

1 comment:

Ash said...

I got your email, so i went to your blog and read it, then i had to go back and read the email again to figure out what you were talking about...You and Nick definately do have a different way of thinking! However, when I figured it out I went to the Rebelution and it looks like great material I can use with my kids. We haven't even started Wed nights back up because I have felt at a loss as to what to teach them. I have not been as deligent in prayer about the youth center as I know I should be and maybe it is because I also do not want to do the hard things, and want an easy way to do it. As I am writing this I think it is a great first lesson for the YC when we start back up...maybe next week. I will have to get on top of things and I really appreciate you thining about me and Matt in this respect! Matt will probably not be participating in the YC much because of his new job, but he will still be able to offer me some support through help with what to teach and doing things at home when he gets off and I am at the YC still. Keep us in your prayers for that!